Do you know that the color of your nails indicate the statues of your health? That’s true. While transparent and rosy nails indicate good health, a little pale and brittle nails imply lack of it. Moreover, diet plays an important role in maintaining the health of your body as well as of your nails. This also means that you need to take care of your nails and include all essential vitamins and minerals if you want to get healthy and beautiful nails.
First of all, you must make minor changes in your lifestyle and try including more healthy fruits and vegetables, nuts, eggs, and fish in your diet. These small changes may go a long way to help you get the perfect nails that you had always dreamt of.
Here are a few tips for getting healthy nails:
- Remove nail polish every week as this allows the nails to breathe.
- Give a natural massage to your nails using coconut oil or warm castor oil.
- Dip your nails in warm water mixed with a tablespoon of lemon juice before you manicure them.
- Apply a base coat with smooth strokes before applying nail paint and then let the coat dry before you apply nail paint.
- Use an acetone-free nail polish remover so that your nails don’t lose their natural oils. Use a nail polish remover only 3-4 times in a month.
- Massage your cuticle twice a week using a rich cream. If your cuticle is damaged, you can use alpha hydroxy cream. Moisturize your nails and cuticles at bedtime and then cover them with cotton gloves.
- If suffering from nail fungus or infection, use a mixture of lavender oil and Tea tree oil to treat it.
- Whenever you get time, rub your nails with lemon to make them look lustrous and provide them with essential nutrition.
- A right diet plays an important role in maintaining healthy and beautiful nails. Therefore, you should include hard-boiled eggs and a glass of milk in your diet. If your nails have white spots, you should include food rich in zinc.
- While filing your nails, file in a single direction. Avoid filing nails just after taking bath as wet nails tend to break more easily.
- To keep your nails well-hydrated, rub your nails and skin surrounding them with a petroleum jelly. If you don’t want to use a petroleum jelly, you can use Castor oil instead. Castor oil is rich of vitamin E, which is also good for your cuticles. You can also use olive oil for the same purpose.
- Use rubber gloves while performing household tasks, such as washing dishes or clothes. To maintain extra softness, you can also apply a good hand -ream before wearing rubber gloves.
- Taking diet rich in vitamins A, E, and Biotin makes your nails stronger. Vitamin A is present in green, yellow and orange vegetables, while nuts and leafy green vegetables offer vitamin E in good quantity. Biotin is a vitamin, which is primarily found in almonds, eggs, soybeans, and sweet potatoes.
Drink nine to ten glasses of water every day. This is because water helps in keeping your nails well-hydrated and maintaining their luster. If you want to strengthen your nails, you can consume Gelatine, which is available in a drinkable form. Gelatine helps in building nail strength and thickening weak nails.